I started using this gnocchi recipe several years ago and it is still in my regular rotation!
If you are wondering what gnocchi is (and how to pronounce it), then here you go:
nyow-kee (click to hear it as well)
Gnocchi is typically a type of pasta that is made from potatoes (or semolina, wheat flour or breadcrumbs) and it oftentimes has eggs and cheese.
A more familiar word may be ‘dumplings,’ which they resemble and are a version of as well.
You can make your own gnocchi from scratch (and more power to you!), but in this house, I need things to be simple and quick.
I have found good store-bought gnocchi from almost all the grocery stores in my area, however, I also know that not everyone has access to this variety of stores. If you need to purchase it online, you can find gnocchi at Amazon, Target and various other online stores.
My favorite part about this recipe is that you can make it as easy as possible or you can make it bit more… complicated.
The version presented here is the simplest version since there is no chopping, cutting, preparing involved. You just dump all the ingredients in the pan and voila!
However, you also have the option to 1) make your own gnocchi from scratch , 2) Use fresh, chopped vegetables (tomatoes, onions, kale or spinach) 3) use fresh herbs instead of dried.
But, again, my goal is to present recipes and meals that are realistic, simple and nutrient dense. So, many of the recipes I will be posting in this corner of the internet will show you the quick and easy option.
Learning how to be flexible with meals and meal planning is a big part of learning how to apply Intuitive Eating to our lives.
If you try out this recipe, be sure to let me know in the comments!
Vegetarian Skillet Gnocchi
- Large Skillet
- Can Opener
- Large spoon or Spatula
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Package Gnocchi
- 1/2 Onion Chopped
- 2 Cups Kale, fresh and chopped Could also use frozen, chopped spinach
- 1 Can Diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 1 Can Beans, low sodium
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning, dried
- 1 Tbsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 Cup Cheese Optional
- Turn heat to medium-high and pour olive oil in skillet to warm
- Add gnocchi to skillet. Saute until edges are browned
- Add onion and kale (or spinach). Cook until wilted, stirring occasionally
- Add 1 can tomatoes and 1 can beans
- Add Italian seasoning and garlic powder
- Cook until bubbly, about 10-15 minutes
- Optional: Add cheese and stir until melted